Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC)

Here at FPV Australia we worked really hard with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to be able to offer our students the AROC certification within our RPAS Courses.  That said, it also means we can offer it to individuals that want the AROC certification, but are not actually sitting on our course proper.

Our Chief Instructor, John Fleming, is fully certified to deliver both AROC training (approved under CASR 64.012) and the necessary English Language Proficiency Assessment, gaining CASA certification to conduct ELP assessments under instrument CASA EX146/15.

What does all that mean?  It means that FPV Australia is officially recognised by the Civil Aviation Authority to deliver these components.

Some info on AROC

AROC is short for Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate.  It is the certification that at a person will need in order to transmit on an air band radio in Australia.

Need?  Well that will depend on what type of operations you plan on doing with your drone.  In certain circumstances it will be a requirement.  If you hold a Remote Pilot’s Licence (or Controller’s Certificate) then we would recommend you obtain AROC certification and utilise the very powerful tool that is an air band radio.

We delivery the AROC as part of our RePL course FREE!

However, if you are not sitting on one of our courses, and you would still like to gain AROC, then our course is $425 inc GST.  Call us on 1300 378 287 to secure your spot.

No!  Each individual that wants to use an air band radio MUST be a current holder of an AROC.

Well no, you don’t “need” an AROC.  That said, sitting our AROC course will certainly teach you a variety of valuable information with regards to how aircraft communicate, where they are likely to be, how they approach and depart airfields, and in the event that you need to talk to one, the knowledge on how to use the correct language and terminology on the radio.  Need? No, but recommended? Yes!!

ELP is short for English Language Proficiency.  In order to obtain an AROC in Australia, you must show that you are proficient in speaking and understanding the English language.  There are a couple of ways this can be done.  If you can provide proof of secondary education in Australia (High School Certificate, for example) then that will qualify you to show proficiency.  If not, our Chief Instructor, John, can give you an English Language Assessment and make a determination  to CASA that you are proficient enough to qualify.

We run our AROC training generally on the Wednesday afternoon within our RPAS course. Usually we are looking at around two to three hours from start to finish.  If you have been told AROC will take you half an hour, then you are going to miss vital information.

The AROC course consists of training in how to use an air band radio. Everything from the correct terminology, correct language, what things mean that you will hear on the radio, how to talk to another air band radio user, runway approaches and departures, how aircraft operate around airfields, radio etiquette, rules around radio use, when to use and when not to use a radio amongst others. We will run through mock radio calls to make sure you are completely comfortable, and have full knowledge of your responsibilities as a radio operator.

Yes, of course.  FPV Australia will facilitate all of the paperwork for you and submit to CASA on your behalf.  We will also pay the fees to CASA directly.

No!  CASA does not allow the practical elements of the AROC to be done online. The theory yes!  But you will need to show up face to face with one of our instructors to complete.  If someone is offering you a complete online AROC, you should be asking questions.

Quality Drone Training

Get your AROC from FPV Australia, and don’t compromise on your training!

Fill out the form below to enquire about AROC

Add your details below and one of our friendly staff will call you back to discuss your needs.

Kickstart Your Drone Career Today

Contact us and get trained now!