RPAS history timeline
Pre World War 1
- In 1849, Austria uses balloons to bomb Venice.
- Camera-equipped kites and balloons used for aerial photography and military reconnaissance.
World War 1
- Experimental development of ‘aerial torpedoes’.
- Radio controlled target drones enter military service.
World War 2
- Radio controlled and preprogrammed flying bombs used in military action.
- Cold War – UAVs used for reconnaissance.
- Vietnam War – UAV reconnaissance, electronic information gathering and leaflet dropping.
- Significant development and refinement of UAV technology and operational systems.
- Military UAVs used around the world, especially Israel, Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Increasing civil use of UAV: research, aerial photography, crop and powerline inspections and atmospheric testing.
- Endurance UAVs used for border patrol.
- Experimental development of micro UAVs (less than 100g).
- UAVs used as weapon platforms.
- Development of UAVs with operational autonomy.